Diabetes is a disease caused by your body's inability to create insulin. This inability hinders the natural process of turning carbohydrates into energy. Since diabetes disrupts the body's normal functions, there are many diabetes complications that can occur if the disease goes untreated or in the more sever cases of the disease. If you have been diagnosed with diabetes, you will need to work closely with your physician in order to develop a plan of action that will be best for you.
You may choose medications or you may choose more natural treatments. Either way, a healthy diet and regular exercise will be an important part of your diabetes management. Once you have been diagnosed with diabetes, it is important to manage the disease to minimize the chance of suffering from diabetes complications.
Diseases and Illnesses Caused by Diabetes
Diabetes can cause the onset of other illnesses and diseases. Some of the illnesses and diseases that can be caused by diabetes complications are more serious than the diabetes itself. Let's look at some of the complications that can arise from diabetes:
- Eye complications - one of the symptoms of diabetes is blurred vision caused when the body takes fluid from other tissues in order to compensate for the loss of insulin. People who have diabetes are at a higher risk of blindness.
- Heart disease - the complications of diabetes makes the risk of heart disease higher in people with diabetes.
- Stroke - the complications of diabetes also place the diabetic at a higher risk of stroke.
- Kidney disease - the symptoms of diabetes causes the kidneys to work harder than normal. This can cause the kidneys not to properly filter out waste products and could lead to kidney failure.
- Neuropathy and Nerve Damage - one of the most common complications for the diabetic is damage to the nerves connecting the spinal cord to muscles, skin, blood vessels, and other organs.
- Feet - as a result of the nerve damage and poor circulation caused by diabetes, many people develop problems with their feet.
- Skin - many people with diabetes suffer from skin disorders. These disorders are often an indication that a person has diabetes. Skin disorders can be prevented and treated.
- Gastroparesis - this disease happens if the nerves to the stomach are damaged and causes the stomach to take too long to empty its contents. People who suffer from Gastroparesis often experience heartburn, nausea, feeling full at the beginning of a meal, weight loss, vomiting undigested food, bloating, loss of appetite, gastroesophageal reflux, and even spasms within the wall of the stomach.
- Depression - many illnesses and diseases can cause people to suffer from depression. The feeling of not having control over your body can often times lead people to a false sense of failure and hopelessness.
Diagnosis and Management in Diabetes
The diabetes complications above gives you an indication of just how important it is detect diabetes as early as possible. Early detection is the best way to learn early on how to control the symptoms of diabetes and lessen your chances of the diabetes complications leading to more serious illnesses and diseases. As soon as you are given a diagnosis of diabetes, you should begin working with your physician to formulate a plan of management for the disease. There is no cure for diabetes, but in many cases, it can be controlled and the risks of it causing more serious complications can be decreased.
Management of your diabetes is a key factor in whether the disease will lead to more serious illnesses and diseases. The best way that you can remain in control is to formulate a management plan with your physician, which should consist of a treatment plan, a healthy diet, and regular exercise. Even if you have not been diagnosed with diabetes, it is important to begin a healthy lifestyle that includes a healthy diet and regular exercise so that diabetes and diabetes complications can be avoided and you can live a normal, healthy life span.
Dr John Anne is an herbal specialist with years of experience and extensive research on herbs and alternative health. If you are looking for more information, read about Diabetes Complications at http://www.ayurvediccure.com/diabetes-treatment1.htm. AyurvedicCure.com is the World’s Largest Alternative Health Portal. If you are worried about your pets health, read about Diabetes in Dogs [http://www.pets.ayurvediccure.com/diabetes.htm]
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/764191