Many people don't know, but diabetes is a general term for a group of 3 metabolic disorders in which the blood glucose is bigger than 110 mg/dl. Generally speaking, there are 3 types of diabetes:
1) Type 1, which occurs when the body simply can not produce enough insulin to decrease the blood sugars;
2) Type 2 (the most popular type of diabetes mellitus), which occurs due to the body's "ability" of developing insulin resistance. Overweight people tend to develop this disease, as obesity is a huge factor risk for this condition;
3) Type 3, also called gestational diabetes. It occurs only in women, only during the pregnancy;
Of all these forms, type 1 and type 3 can not be reverted. On the other hand, the type 2, also called non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus, can be reverted. It takes some sacrifice, however, as drastic lifestyle changes need to be done.
Check out these related articles, too:
To understand how diabetes can be reverted it's important to understand what causes this disease. As said above, the primary risk factor is obesity and sedentariness. Some people are genetically predisposed to developing this disease at some point in their lives, but even so, it's possible to postpone it for a good period of time.
Basically, whenever we eat carbohydrates with a high glycemic index, a large quantity of glucose is released into our system. As a consequence, the pancreas secretes insulin, which decreases the blood sugar. However, insulin decreases the glucose by facilitating its entrance in the cell. Whenever this is not possible anymore, the lipogenesis is triggered. In other words, this is how the fat tissue is created. The higher percentage of body fat, the more difficult it will be for the body to decrease the blood sugars.
Proven Method To Revert Diabetes
One of the best methods to revert diabetes is to try to decrease the blood sugars naturally. This can only be done by changing the dietary habits. For instance, instead of eating carbohydrates, people can try to eat fats instead. The ketogenic diet, based primarily on fats and proteins, is the best way to revert diabetes and loose a huge amount of fat tissue in a relatively short period of time.
What is the ketogenic diet and why does it work?
The main reason why the ketogenic diet works is the fact that it changes the body's primary energy source from glucose to ketone bodies and monoglycerides. As a consequence, most of the people starting this diet will drastically decrease the water retention in their bodies. As a general rule, up to 22 lbs are lost in the first month of dieting. There are people who had lost more than 80 lbs in approximately 6 months using this diet, without using hormones, steroids or performance enhancement substances.
Although it sounds plain and simple, there are several rules that need to be respected:
1) In order to lose weight, people must permanently be in a state known as ketosis (which occurs whenever the number of ketone bodies is bigger than the existent quantity of glucose). As well, the number of calories per day should be restrained to 1500-2000
2) Carbohydrates are limited at no more than 20-30 grams per day. High GI carbohydrates should be avoided; instead, foods rich in fibers (as the vegetables with large leaves, for example) should be used
3) Consuming fats is encouraged. That's because our body needs energy from a source. As well, if a diet contains only proteins, the liver will transform the monoglycerides and the amino-acids in glucose through gluconeogenesis, which may lead to exiting ketosis. This has to be avoided at all costs, even if it means eating low quality fats (like the ones from sausages and other processed types of meat). Fats should be taken from meat, olive oil, palm oils, cheese and so on. Although many people avoid eating pork, in terms of dieting, it's one of the best types or meat, as it is rich in proteins, but also in fats as well. Take any nutritional table and choose the foods that don't contain or contain at most 5 grams of carbohydrates per 100 grams.
4) Eating proteins is also encouraged. We need proteins in order to survive, therefore eating lots of meat and cheese (careful, though, as certain types of cheese can contain hidden carbohydrates is recommended.
5) In order to accelerate the weight loss, implicitly the reversion of the diabetes, people should also start exercising. It doesn't take to be an athlete to start burning some calories, as this can be done with baby steps. Jog in a low pace, walk or hike. It will help the body burn more fat tissue, but it will also help the body reduce the blood glucose.
6) Supplements like l-carnitine and most of the fat burners are benefic. L-carnitine will take the decomposed fat tissue and will transport it inside the cells, in the mitochondria, to be more specific. The mitochondria will use the new resources in order to create energy by synthesizing ATP (adenosine triphosphate), which is the main energy currency used by the body. In simpler words, l-carnitine (in dosages that can go up to 5000 mg a day) helps the body transform the fat tissue back into energy. Fat burners are helpful as well as they increase the body temperature, which in turn increases the metabolism.
7) It is important for people dink as much water as possible. Eating that much protein can lower the body's PH. In order to not develop acidosis, people should drink at least 4-5 liters of water per day. Water has a slightly basic pH (generally speaking, it's about 7,5), that can prevent acidosis and digestive problems from appearing.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/8758622